- SANITATION – Cooks are to prepare and cook in as sanitary manner as is possible. Cooking conditions are subject to inspection by a Smokin’ on the Plaza representative & NM Health Dept. Any identified infractions shall be immediately corrected, or the cook will be subject to disqualification.
- PERMIT – All contestants must have a food permit. Proof of permit must be received by June 11th , 2021 or contestant forfeits and entry fee will not be reimbursed. To download your form, check out: www.nmenv.state.nm.us/foodprogram.
- COOKED ON SITE – All food entries will be cooked on-site. The preparation and completion (excluding pre-trimming) of any and all food entries in competition must be done on-site.Competition meat will be subject to inspection at cook-off by a Smokin’ on the Plaza representative.
- COOKING SOURCES – Approved cooking/heat sources include all acceptable wood heat sources, as well as Propane/Gas Grill. (Microwave, convection oven, conventional oven, stove-top and electric heat sources are NOT allowed.)
- PIT – Any commercial or homemade, trailered or un-trailered, pit or smoker normally used for competitive barbecue is allowed. A BBQ Pit may include gas or electricity for starting the combustion of wood or wood products, but NOT to complete cooking. Pit should be of a permanent design that contains separate individual cooking chambers and heat sources. (No sharing of heat sources.)
- BYC (Backyard Cooker) – Any cooking device that is inherently portable in nature and is designed with intent for recreational cooking.
- PULLED PORK – Each contestant must provide a minimum of 20 lbs. of cooked meat. All blocking must be done before cooking. The fat cap may be trimmed or cut away. All garnishes and condiments are prohibited, as they do not reflect the true quality of the cooked meat. Meats may be cooked with sauces and/or other liquids, but once the cooking is complete, sauces and/or liquids may not be added once put into tray. NO PUDDLING IN BOTTOM OF TRAY.
- PRE-TRIMMING – Competition meat may be removed from the store packaging and pre-trimmed unless there is a health department rule requiring that all meat must be in store packaging when meat is inspected.
- QUANTITY – Each contestant will provide 1-2oz cup of pulled pork to each attendee to taste. Portion cups will be provided at time of check-in. (Attendees will have cards with team names. Please initial card, once attendee has received a portion.) Contestant must be able to provide 200-2 oz tastes.
- JUDGING – Judging will be opened at 6:00pm on Friday, June 18th and will close at 8:00pm. Attendees will be allowed to judge all contestants’ pulled pork during this time only. Attendees will be given 3 coins and a scoring sheet. Judges will assign a score from 1 to 10 for each portion. Once attendee has judged all entries, he/she will award the overall best with a coin. Coin will be submitted at LMS Tent.
Participants must read and adhere to all competition rules & guidelines. Click “Rules” above to view or hide the list of Locals Only Cook-Off Rules.
Set-up begins at 8:00am, and registration closes at LMS Tent at 10:00am on Friday, June 18th, 2021. Pulled Pork entries must be ready to be judged by 6:00pm on Friday, June 18th, 2021. Trophies and cash prizes will be given to first 3 places. Awards to be given following judging — 1st Place: $300, 2nd Place: $200, 3rd Place: $100.
Locals’ Spots are marked in BLUE and are labeled L1-L20. They are 15ft x 20ft and have a 5ft-10ft gap between spots. Please see the map to select an available spot. Spots are reserved on a first-come, first-serve
basis. Payment can be taken day-of, but will not guarantee a spot.
Locals’ Cook-Off application goes here